There are only certain coverages that a state insurance law may require you to buy, but
there are many coverages available for purchase under the Personal Auto policy. When
purchasing automobile insurance consider:
Factors that will influence the cost of your auto insurance are:
- Protecting your assets (which include future earning capacity) by purchasing adequate
- Protecting your mobility by buying coverage to pay for damage to your auto
- Protect what you want to protect, but whatever you elect not to protect,
you should be able to afford to pay for with your own money
- Operators: their length of driving experience as well as their driving records
- Location: the town where you live and park your car
- Use of vehicle: how far you drive to work or school, whether you use your vehicle in your work
- Coverage: the type and amount of coverage that you purchase
- Deductible:The amount of deductible you choose. In most cases, the higher
the auto policy deductible, the lower the premium paid.
Many insurance carriers offer premium discounts. Ask us about discounts for:
Auto Insurance Shopping Tips:
- Insuring multiple cars.
- Having a good driving record.
- Using anti-theft devices.
- Owning a car with automatic seat belt, factory-installed air bags or anti-lock brakes.
- Good students.
- Mature drivers.
You may be able to save money on your auto insurance. Consider these ideas:
- Increase Your Deductible.
Raising the deductible from $250 to $500 may reduce auto insurance cost by as
much as 15 percent. But, you must be able to pay a higher out-of-pocket amount
if you have an accident.
- Buy a Low-Accident, Low-Theft Rate Car.
Insurance usually costs less if statistics show the type of car is involved in fewer accidents
and thefts. The magazine Consumer Reports often provides information like this. The Insurance
Institute for Highway Safety also keeps these statistics.
- Drop Collision Coverage on Older Cars.
For most cars, the older they are the lower their actual value. The amount an insurance company
pays for collision damages may be below the cost of repairing the car. So, this coverage may
be of little or no benefit.